Quantcast

Configuring a spring bean as a component

Configuring a spring bean as a component

billgraham
Hi,

I'm a bit of a mule newbie so this might be a pretty basic (aka stupid) question, but how do you bind a component to a pre-initialized spring bean? I'm able to create a component by specifying a class like this:

<component class="MyComponent">

But I need to use use IoC on MyComponent to set some properties so the component needs to be wired to a spring bean. I've read the docs and can't find how to do this. I've experimented with a few things that haven't worked, but now I'm pretty much stuck. Initializing the spring bean is working fine, it's the wiring of that to the component that is causing problems.

- I tried a few variations of this:

<spring:bean id="myComponent" class="MyComponent">
  <spring:property name="foo" value="bar"/>
</spring:bean>
<component ref="myComponent"/>

- And this:

<component>
    <spring:bean class="MyComponent">
        <spring:property name="foo" value="bar"/>
    </spring:bean>
</component>

This doc _seems_ like it should describe what I'm trying to do, but it doesn't really:
http://www.mulesource.org/display/MULE2USER/Using+Spring+as+a+Component+Factory

thanks,
Bill

Re: Configuring a spring bean as a component

Andrew Perepelytsya
This page hasn't yet been updated (check the yellow note at the top). If your ide didn't give you auto-completion options, try the <spring:bean ref="myComponent"/>

HTH,
Andrew

Re: Configuring a spring bean as a component

Daniel Feist

Sorry about the docs, this will be updated soon.

Solution is:

<spring:bean id="myComponent" class="MyComponent">
  <spring:property name="foo" value="bar"/>
</spring:bean>

<component>
    <spring-bean name="myComponent"/>
</component>

Dan

> On Jul 24, 2008, at 2:51 PM, Bill Graham wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm a bit of a mule newbie so this might be a pretty basic (aka
> stupid) question, but how do you bind a component to a pre-
> initialized spring bean? I'm able to create a component by
> specifying a class like this:
>
> <component class="MyComponent">
>
> But I need to use use IoC on MyComponent to set some properties so
> the component needs to be wired to a spring bean. I've read the docs
> and can't find how to do this. I've experimented with a few things
> that haven't worked, but now I'm pretty much stuck. Initializing the
> spring bean is working fine, it's the wiring of that to the
> component that is causing problems.
>
> - I tried a few variations of this:
>
> <spring:bean id="myComponent" class="MyComponent">
>  <spring:property name="foo" value="bar"/>
> </spring:bean>
> <component ref="myComponent"/>
>
> - And this:
>
> <component>
>    <spring:bean class="MyComponent">
>        <spring:property name="foo" value="bar"/>
>    </spring:bean>
> </component>
>

> This doc _seems_ like it should describe what I'm trying to do, but
> it doesn't really:
> http://www.mulesource.org/display/MULE2USER/Using+Spring+as+a+Component+Factory
>
> thanks,
> Bill

Re: Configuring a spring bean as a component

billgraham
Thanks for the quick reply! I tried what you described, but got the following error:

<component>
    <spring:bean ref="myComponent"/>
</component>

[2008-07-24 11:13:01.509] org.springframework.beans.factory.parsing.BeanDefinitionParsingException: Configuration problem: Unnamed bean definition specifies neither 'class' nor 'parent' nor 'factory-bean' - can't generate bean name

Re: Configuring a spring bean as a component

billgraham
Thanks Dan for the quick reply. I tried that and got the following error:

[2008-07-24 11:16:58.678] [07-24 11:16:58] ERROR AbstractConfigurationBuilder [main]: Configuration with "org.mule.config.builders.WebappMuleXmlConfigurationBuilder" failed.
[2008-07-24 11:16:58.678] org.springframework.beans.factory.parsing.BeanDefinitionParsingException: Configuration problem: The element 'spring-bean' does not have an associated Bean Definition Parser.  Is the module or transport associated with http://www.mulesource.org/schema/mule/core/2.0 present on the classpath?

<spring:bean ref="myComponent"/> was also suggested, but that doesn't work either, as I replied in a fork of this thread.

Any other suggestions?

Sorry about the docs, this will be updated soon.

Solution is:

<spring:bean id="myComponent" class="MyComponent">
  <spring:property name="foo" value="bar"/>
</spring:bean>

<component>
    <spring-bean name="myComponent"/>
</component>

Dan

> On Jul 24, 2008, at 2:51 PM, Bill Graham wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm a bit of a mule newbie so this might be a pretty basic (aka
> stupid) question, but how do you bind a component to a pre-
> initialized spring bean? I'm able to create a component by
> specifying a class like this:
>
> <component class="MyComponent">
>
> But I need to use use IoC on MyComponent to set some properties so
> the component needs to be wired to a spring bean. I've read the docs
> and can't find how to do this. I've experimented with a few things
> that haven't worked, but now I'm pretty much stuck. Initializing the
> spring bean is working fine, it's the wiring of that to the
> component that is causing problems.
>
> - I tried a few variations of this:
>
> <spring:bean id="myComponent" class="MyComponent">
>  <spring:property name="foo" value="bar"/>
> </spring:bean>
> <component ref="myComponent"/>
>
> - And this:
>
> <component>
>    <spring:bean class="MyComponent">
>        <spring:property name="foo" value="bar"/>
>    </spring:bean>
> </component>
>

> This doc _seems_ like it should describe what I'm trying to do, but
> it doesn't really:
> http://www.mulesource.org/display/MULE2USER/Using+Spring+as+a+Component+Factory
>
> thanks,
> Bill

Re: Configuring a spring bean as a component

Daniel Feist
Sorry I should have check first, what I remember wasn't quite right.

<component>
   <spring-object bean="myComponent"/>
</component>

If you use xml editor then you should get suggestions and auto-compete etc. and this would be much much easier.

Dan

On Jul 24, 2008, at 3:20 PM, Bill Graham wrote:

Thanks Dan for the quick reply. I tried that and got the following error:

[2008-07-24 11:16:58.678] [07-24 11:16:58] ERROR AbstractConfigurationBuilder [main]: Configuration with "org.mule.config.builders.WebappMuleXmlConfigurationBuilder" failed.
[2008-07-24 11:16:58.678] org.springframework.beans.factory.parsing.BeanDefinitionParsingException: Configuration problem: The element 'spring-bean' does not have an associated Bean Definition Parser.  Is the module or transport associated with http://www.mulesource.org/schema/mule/core/2.0 present on the classpath?

<spring:bean ref="myComponent"/> was also suggested, but that doesn't work either, as I replied in a fork of this thread.

Any other suggestions?

Re: Configuring a spring bean as a component

billgraham
Thanks, that did the trick. I'm now up and running in my IDE too, so things should be easier now.